Tuesday, March 8, 2011

TAKE The Physical Wellness Assessment


Dimensions of Wellness:  Physical Wellness

Physical Wellness Assessment

The physical dimension of wellness involves encouraging regular activities that produce endurance, flexibility and strength. Read each statement carefully and respond honestly by using the following scoring:

Almost always = 2 points           
Sometimes/occasionally = 1 point          
Very seldom = 0 points

_____  1.  I exercise aerobically (vigorous, continuous) for 20 to 30 minutes at least three times per week.
_____  2.  I eat fruits, vegetables, and whole grains every day.
_____  3.  I avoid tobacco products.
_____  4.  I wear a seat belt while riding in and driving a car.
_____  5.  I deliberately minimize my intake of cholesterol, dietary fats, and oils.
_____  6.  I avoid drinking alcoholic beverages or I consume no more than one drink per day.
_____  7.  I get an adequate amount of sleep.
_____  8.  I have adequate coping mechanisms for dealing with stress.
_____  9.  I maintain a regular schedule of immunizations, physicals, dental checkups and self-exams.
_____ 10. I maintain a reasonable weight, avoiding extremes of overweight and underweight.
_______ Total for Physical Wellness Dimension

Score: 15 to 20 Points -  Excellent strength in this dimension.

Score:  9 to 14 Points - There is room for improvement.  Look again at the items in which you scored 1 or 0.  What changes can you make to improve your score?

Score:  0 to 8 Points - This dimension needs a lot of work.  Look again at  this dimension and challenge yourself to begin making small steps toward growth here.  Remember:  The goal is balanced wellness.